Intravenous sedation, also known as IV sedation is monitored anaesthesia care that relaxes patients during surgical dentistry procedures by administering a sedative through a vein cannula. IV sedation is also known as a twilight sleep, as often a small dose of anaesthetic is used, just enough to make you drowsy and so that you don’t remember the procedure.
Patients are able to breathe on their own with this type of anaesthetic and so intubation (placing a tube into the windpipe so that the patient can breathe) isn’t required.
IV sedation is frequently used during complex surgical dentistry procedures. There are many benefits, including.
- Highly safe compared to other forms of anaesthesia.
- Lower risk for post-operative complications.
- Patients come out of anaesthesia quickly.
- Lower risk of blood clots.
- A precise amount of anaesthesia is administered.
- No intubation means patients avoid a sore throat after surgery.
This form of sedation is optimal for safety and patient comfort. IV sedation is highly sought after because it puts patients at ease. The team at Goulburn Dental Care have many years of experience in administering IV sedation. Speak with us today to find out more by calling (02) 4821 2531 .